(Family Fun Day - Community Outreach)
Family Fun Day or
Community Outreach Competition
Jack-O-Lantern or Scarecrow Competition
As an alternative, this competition could be added to your list of Fall Festival activities. Families would create their Scarecrows or Jack-O-Lanterns at home and enter them into the Scarecrow or Jack-O-Lantern competitions.
A Jack-o-Lantern or Scarecrow competition is an easy and fun way to encourage family time.
1. Decide on a theme or leave the design up to each family.
2. Create a flyer
3. Pass out flyers to each child
4. Promote your event on the big screen, Facebook, Instagram...however you communicate with your families.
5. Purchase prizes for the winner.
6. Re-post your event often to build excitement.
7. Allow a two week period to time for families to complete their creations. Perhaps October 14th thru October 28th.
8. Families will create their scarecrows or Jack-o-Lanterns, take lots of fun pics and text or e-mail 2-3 pics to you.
9. All pics will be posted on Facebook...You may select the winners or number each entry and allow your Facebook followers to select the winners.
10. Winners are chosen
11. Prizes are awarded...pick up at the church
12. Winner's pics are taken (with their prizes) and posted on Facebook.
Facebook competitions are a fun and easy way to connect with families in your community.
Challenge your church families, neighborhood or the entire community and beyond.
Competitions are easy to create, easy to host and easy to manage.
You may have to host one or two before you get people in the habit of checking your Facebook page on a regular basis.
Hosting competitions will draw people to your Facebook page where they will learn more about your church...and hopefully, make a connection. However, the main purpose is to draw families closer...including your own church families. Families will work together as a team to complete the competitions.
Basis Competition Information
For a community outreach event, you may want to choose a few categories or a theme for their creations...otherwise, you may have some entries that you would rather not have.
Create a flyer or Facebook slide
Post your competition flyer or slide on your Facebook page. Make sure to add all details to your post...such as start and ending date. etc.
Adding "OPEN TO THE PUBLIC" AND "DO NOT HAVE TO BE PRESENT TO WIN" are important things to add to your post.
Do a Facebook flash...which simply means that everyone opens their phones and shares your post at the same exact time. You can do this during announcement time if you are allowed to do so. Just ask everyone to get out their phones and lead them through it.
Ask all members to share your post with family and friends
Send a flyer home with each child
Have flyers at the information desk for families to take and share.
Post your flyer on all FREE community Facebook pages.
Purchase prizes... these can be as simple or as elaborate as your budget will allow. A basket (or two...or even three...if you want to pass out first, second and third place prizes) filled with "seasonal items" is a great gift idea. Note: I have found that a 1 or 5-gallon bucket works great as an alternative to a basket...they come in many colors and cost only $2-3 at Wal-Mart)
Families will compete in the competition, take pics of their adventure and share 2-3 with you via text.
All pics will go on Facebook and a winner will be announced.
Post the winner's names on-line.
Winners will pick up their prize at the church. Make sure to take their pics with their prizes and post on-line.
Make sure to thank each of your entries and invite them to church on Sunday.
Make sure to remind them to watch for more competitions coming soon.